New PSAs Target Youth
Amid troubling new signs of the continuing toll AIDS takes on our nation's young adults, on November 30, 1995, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released a new series of public service announcements (PSAs) urging young Americans to take personal responsibility for protecting themselves from HIV infection.
The new PSAs, produced by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), feature several young adults speaking candidly about protecting themselves from HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. The 12 television and 7 radio PSAs present a balanced approach to HIV prevention, modeling behaviors that young adults, ages 18-25, can adopt to protect themselves from becoming infected with HIV or other STDs.
View photos and scripts from a few of the PSAs. To receive a VHS videotape of the PSAs or a copy of the information kit on the PSAs, call the Clearinghouse at 1-800-458-5231.
Atlanta Resource Center
The Clearinghouse operates a Resource Center in Atlanta, GA, that serves CDC staff and the Atlanta community with resources and services similar to those found at the Resource Center in Rockville, MD.
The Resource Center provides the following services:
The Resource Center maintains a collection of medical and social science journals, including publications produced by CDC; offers a monthly bibliography of emerging literature on AIDS, tuberculosis, and sexually transmitted diseases; and provides database searches of MEDLINE, AIDSLINE, and other databases. The Resource Center is open weekdays 8:30-5:00 and can be reached at 1-404-982-0353.
- access to a collection of materials cataloged in the Educational Materials Database
- distribution of CDC publications
- access to and training on Clearinghouse electronic information products, such as CDC NAC ONLINE and the Internet
Several months ago, Sara Mclanahan joined the Clearinghouse staff as librarian at the Atlanta Resource Center. Sara has worked in the AIDS information arena for the last five years, first as the librarian at the National Hemophilia Foundation's AIDS Clearinghouse in New York, and then as a consultant to CDC NAC and AIDS service organizations in the San Francisco Bay Area.
HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials Video in Production
The AIDS Clinical Trials Information Service (ACTIS) is producing a 20-minute video that will provide information on making decisions about participating in HIV/AIDS clinical trials.
The video targets all people living with HIV infection. It aims to give viewers a basic understanding of what clinical trials are, as well as information they will need to make choices about participating in one. The video's main message is that people who are thinking about joining an HIV/AIDS clinical trial should ask specific questions of the researchers conducting the trial, their personal physicians, and themselves. Once they have the answers, they should be able to make the choices that are right for them.
The video will be used by community-based organizations in educational programs, as well as in support groups. It will also be available in clinic waiting rooms and in physicians' offices. It will be packaged in a kit with a discussion guide and a brochure for viewers. Copies of the package will be available from the Clearinghouse in the spring of 1996.
New Spanish-Language Materials from the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
To order a free copy of the PAHO publications, use the CDC NAC Internet Order Form or call the Clearinghouse at 1-800-458-5231.
- Pan Pautas Para La Atencion Clinica De la Persona Adulta Infectada por El VIH (Guidelines for the Treatment of HIV Infected Adults - Spanish only)
- Pautas Para la Atencion Clinica Del Nino Infectado Por El VIH (Guidelines for the Treatment of HIV Infected Children - Spanish only)
- AIDS Surveillance in the Americas, 1995, 3rd quarter report (English and Spanish)
The Business and Labor Resource Service (BLRS) Standard Search Series has recently been updated. The materials listed in these eight searches are drawn from the BLRS Workplace Materials Database, a unique collection of information relating to HIV/AIDS and the workplace. The database includes more than 500 descriptions of manuals, books, reports, and more. The documents in the series provide a sample of the most recent materials in the following topic areas:
To order a free copy of any of the BLRS Standard Searches, call the Clearinghouse at 1-800-458-5231. You can also download the searches from the CDC NAC FTP site; they are located in the "dbsearches" directory.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- HIV/AIDS and Employees
- HIV/AIDS and Labor Unions
- HIV/AIDS and Law Enforcement/Correctional Officers
- HIV/AIDS and Managers/Supervisors
- HIV/AIDS and Occupational Safety
- HIV/AIDS Workplace Materials in Spanish
- HIV/AIDS Workplace Policy Development
Look for Us at Upcoming Conferences
The Clearinghouse will be presenting, exhibiting, and/or demonstrating CDC NAC ONLINE at upcoming conferences:
- National Network for Youth, February 4-7, Washington, D.C.
- National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association Annual Meeting, February 26-March 1, Washington, D.C.
- HIV Prevention Community Planning Co-Chairs Meeting, March 7-9, Atlanta, GA
- 8th National AIDS Update Conference, March 19-22, San Francisco, CA
Back to Clearinghouse Update Main Page