Plan for Managing a Reference Collection
Beware of doing more than you need to do. You probably need a reference collection, not a full fledged library. Libraries are resource intensive and require lots of management. Collect and store only the information that you must have in-house. Let the national clearinghouses, and public and special libraries in your community do the job of organizing comprehensive collections.
Organizing Information by Subject
- NAC Reading Room Subject Headings
- Reference Staff Subject Headings
- Press Office Subject Headings
- AIDS Knowledge Base TOC
Has your organization developed Subject Headings it would like to share?
- Keep only current information. Get rid of old information.
- The primary source is more important that all the interpretations.
- If itís indexed, you will be able to find it later.
Identify Source Information on Each Document
- Source and page #
Please tell us about how your organization manages itís information collection.